Sunday, March 19, 2006

Post Chronology

I've never kept a diary in my life. Honestly, I've never even tried and don't view a blog as one. So why am I forced to publish notes in this blog in a diary format?

At least one limitation seems to be technological. I cannot date my posts anything but the date they were published. Moreover, as I discovered with Blogger, it's not just the publishing date, it's the creation date (so if I save something as a draft, then publish several posts, and then return to that draft, it will be posted with an earlier timestamp). The creation date is important, but there are other dates with which a blog can be associated. How can those be formalized with the limited field structure?

Since Google already has the technology for expanding database tables or schemas with Google Base it only seems natural for them to incorporate this technology into personal publishing tools like Blogger. Why aren't we there yet?